Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Work Observations

I am on the phone at work pretty much all day. I call people who have applied to be truck drivers. Here are some things about calling on these applications that I have noticed over the last 6 months

1. I dont like calling people who have first names for their surname. Is this Mr. Frederick Michael, or Mr. Michael Frederick? I worry each time I call someone that I have the name backwards and they think I am an idiot.

2. People have some interesting names and interesting spelling. Take for example the following name: D'vorac. Now I would say that da vor zjack, like the composer of my favorite symphony. But who wants to take a stab at how it is really pronounced? Well I will let you all mull on that for a while and submit your guesses. And if anyone actually gets it right, I will give you a special surprise treat.

3. Before starting to work here, I had never spent much time talking to anyone from the South, but I talk to a lot of Southerners now days and there is one phrase that I hear at least 10 times a day that I had never heard before...."Have a blessed day." I love that. I do feel extra blessed after being told so many times each day.

Well, that is all for now. I know it wasnt especially funny or clever, but at least it was something to read.

4 comments:

Tiff and Kyle said...

I would guess. Da-vo-Rack....

Unknown said...

wow, a treat two for two days :)
Deeforak.

there is a lady suing the davis school district for mispronouncing her daughters name...
Le-a

(pronounced le dash a. she says, "the dash don't be silent.")

Angie said...

I got a kick out of this post! One time about ten years ago, I was working for Discover Card. I was extremely naive, and partially dense, I will say that right now. Anyhow, I was calling a gentleman because his account was delinquent, and his name was Jesus. I called him by Jesus, not by "Hey-Seuss"... I felt like a complete moron!

Lyndee said...

The funness of names! Gotta love my last name! :) I'm going to guess that it is said divorce :) just because it sound ridiculous!