Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Welcoming the era of Obama


"Today I say to you that the challenges we face are real. They are serious and they are many. They will not be met easily or in a short span of time. But know this, America: They will be met.
On this day, we gather because we have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord.
On this day, we come to proclaim an end to the petty grievances and false promises, the recriminations and worn-out dogmas, that for far too long have strangled our politics.
We remain a young nation, but in the words of Scripture, the time has come to set aside childish things. The time has come to reaffirm our enduring spirit; to choose our better history; to carry forward that precious gift, that noble idea, passed on from generation to generation: the God-given promise that all are equal, all are free, and all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness." President Barack Obama

What an inspiring speech. It brought tears to my eyes. I am looking forward with hope to the next 4 years. Congratulations, President Obama!

5 comments:

Rollin Skinner said...

Me too sweetie, me too.

Mindurs said...

Exactly!!! Wow I actaully found another Obama supporter in the neighborhood. And here I thought Nate and I were one of a kind.

Julie Keddington said...

I thought President Obama gave an incredible speech, too. I liked what he said about hard work and I enjoyed his quote about the founding fathers speaking to a future generation...It was very inspiring. I know there are a lot of critics of the speech saying that it was just empty promises. But, we know from past history that words can mean something...that they have power for good and for bad and can change things and make a difference. My kids were home from school and I made them watch the entire inauguration. I'm not sure they were too pleased, but I wanted them to witness history and to understand what this means.

Tamra said...

What a nice tribute. I am grateful for those in the world who aspire to hold political office and are willing to sacrifice all that they do to make my life and the lives of my family better. I look forward to seeing how he will pull this off, but I do believe he will give it his all.

Amanda Bishop said...

I love your posts Jen, and I enjoyed your testimony. You are far more perfect then Mary Poppins