Wednesday, February 11, 2009

It's the most wonderful time of the year

It is my favorite time of year. Not because it is winter...blech. Not because it is Valentine's Day....sappy. Not because Spring is right around the corner....not soon enough. No, it is my favorite time of year because the library is having its Reader's Choice contest!!!! I know I am a dork, but I seriously get giddy with joy when I walk into the library and see that the new reader's choice books are out. I love reading, but I dont like taking a chance on reading a book I know nothing about which has not been recommended to me, which means that often I have no idea what to read and that makes me so sad. :( So this is the perfect solution....25 books that have been recommeded! (Even if the recommendation comes from some unnamed body of librarians or patrons, I am not picky.) :)


It has been my goal to try and read all 25 choices this year, and I have been making some pretty good progress (and ignoring my house and my family in the process.) This blog seemed like a good forum to tell you about a couple of the books that I have read and what I thought of them. And there will even be pictures!!!!

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society


This was a really good book. Written in the form of letters, epistolary is the technical term. So cute and also a little sad, but then happy!!

The Art of Racing in the Rain

I also liked this book. It is told from a dog's perspective, and very well written.
The Magicians and Mrs. Quent

It is like Pride and Prejudice squished together with a little Harry Potter...the best of both worlds. I liked it a lot.
So I have read several more, but these are my 3 favorite so far. I will keep you all updated as to my progress and my critiques. I am sure you will all be waiting with bated breath!

3 comments:

Salty Gal said...

Send me your mailng address to:
boler@thepei.com

YOU WON! YAY, now I'll be sending you something fun...

Julie Keddington said...

Thanks for the recommendations, Jen. I know I can always count on you for a good book. I love it that you get so excited about reading. Perhaps that is one of the reasons why you have always been my "kindred spirit". I, too, enjoyed the Guernsey book. I thought the characters were delightful. I am very impressed that you are using literary terms such as "epistolary". Are you coming to book club tonight?

payneinthe... said...

Really? I didnt particularly care for "The Art of Racing in the Rain". To each his or her own I suppose. But i cant wait to read the other two, thanks.