Monday, June 9, 2008

An Homage

Not much has been going on around here lately. That is mostly my fault because I have been totally wrapped up in reading. I have always been a fan of the fantasy genre and there are times when a good Juvenile Fiction read is just up my alley. So this week I have been captivated by this book:




It is akin to Harry Potter (though in my opinion nothing will ever match HP) with the magic and magical creatures and bad guys and such. I am currently reading the 2nd book in the series and loving it.

I was also thinking today about 80s Hair Band Music. During the 80s, I was not a big fan, but as time went by, I came to appreciate it. Lately, the appearance of several hair band alumni on the reality TV scene has just amped up my regard for hair bands. (I mean who can help but get sucked in to Tommy Lee trying to make it at college, or Brett Michaels trying to find true love with 1 of 20 random skanky women?)


Everything about the whole 80s hair band scene was just wonderful: the glamour, the makeup, the heroin-chic thinness, the videos with the buxom women, and of course the hair. But what gets me, what really just cements these amazing bands in my mind is the beautiful, thought-provoking, timeless lyrics they came up with.

Just listen to this:

An' here I go again on my own

Goin' down the only road I've ever known,

Like a hobo I was born to walk alone

An' I've made up my mind

I ain't wasting no more time


Can't you just see that Hobo walking down the road, all by himself. Brings tears to my eyes.


Here's another one:


So you say I've got a funny face, I got no worries

And I don't know why

I don't know why


Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all have such a great attitude about our physical limitations?


How about these words?


Love is like a bomb, baby, c'mon get it on

Livin' like a lover with a radar phone

Lookin' like a tramp, like a video vamp

Demolition woman, can I be your man?


Now, I don't necessarily know what those words mean, but are they powerful or what? I wish I had a radar phone!




As an homage to the great song writers of the 80s hair band era, I have changed my playlist this month to be exclusively theirs. Next month, I might try something new because music is awesome and until we really explore it, it can't touch our lives.


Amen.



(Prizes to the first people to identify the hair bands in these pictures. Immediate family members not eligible.)



8 comments:

Rollin Skinner said...

During the great Def Leppard summer of 87' I worked at a garlic farm where we would listen to the radio for 8-9hrs a day. Over the course of the summer we all became very familiar with Def Leppard and their music and many would sing along. My friend Terry Nash though was a bit confused about certain lyrics to the timeless classic "Pour Some Sugar on Me". Terry used to sing, "...I'm hot sticky sweet, from my head to my feet yeah... you bring the (edited) and I'll bring the beer..." I tried for months to convince Terry that he was wrong but he wouldn't listen. Who would've guessed Def Leppard used the word saccharine in a song though? I think Terry just liked having an opportunity to swear for once in his life. Then we would throw garlic at each other and dive for the radio plug every time "Don't Worry be Happy" came on. Good times, Good times.

Lyndee said...

you are awesome! I liked that book too but sadly I don't think I can name any of those people! :)

Heather said...

Yes!

Twisted Sister, Guns n' Roses, Poison, and Bon Jovi!!!

Reminds me of a line from my favorite . . . Steven Tyler of Aerosmith - "Dude looks like a lady!"

Heather

Unknown said...

i could cheat off of heather, but truely i only recognized bon jovi. you rock it jen. serious 80s hair rock!

Marinda said...

I'm absolutely loving clicking onto your blog and seeing your picture perfect family- clean cut, church going, home schooling nice family and then I hear poison playing in the background. I think that might be an oxymoron. But I guess since the bishop's family knew all the pictures, we'll all be ok!

Angie said...

Hey where's Motley Crue???? I am with you on the 80's hair glam bands. There isn't much better than them! I love em, and I have no problem admitting it!

Rollin Skinner said...

Sweetie, I also have to say the lack of Sammy Hagar representation is very disappointing. How you could miss the icon of late 80's solo hair metal is just befuddling to me. I would be lying if I said I wasn't hurt.

Amanda Bishop said...

You are killing me...I got sucked into blog world tonight. So many memories, so much aqua net. Those were the days