Saturday, September 20, 2008

Sugar Rush

An Ode to Candy Corn
by Jennifer J Skinner

Yellow, orange, and white

You are a sugar lover's delight.

When fall comes in, you come out

You are something to shout about.

My joy is full, my tummy too

and even though summer's through,

I enter the fall with a smile on my face.

No other candy can take your place.

Thanks to the man who found a way

to put you together in that adorable way

And make my life a dream come true.

Candy corn, I love you!!


I love fall and I love fall candy. I went to WalMart today and made a special trip to the waaayyyy back of the store just to get a nice big bag of candy corn. Yummm. I might have to take tomorrow off because I will be in a sugar coma, but I am enjoying it now. That is because it is so delicious.

Here are some delicious candy corn facts to enlighten your mind and start your mouth watering:
  • The average person consumes 5.73 pounds of candy corn per year

  • October 30th is national candy corn day

  • Halloween accounts for 75% of annual candy corn production

  • Candy corn was first produced in 1880

  • More than 35 million pounds of candy corn will be produced this year. That equates to nearly 9 billion pieces -- enough to circle the moon nearly four times if laid end-to-end.

  • According to the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, candy corn is no different than a slice of bread, bowl of cereal or a cracker when it comes to causing tooth decay

So there you go. Candy corn basically makes the world a better place. Go out and get some today! And if you arent going to eat your 5+ pounds this year, please feel free to bring it over here.

4 comments:

Lyndee said...

here here!!! I love it to! :)

Salty Gal said...

oh dear, you will hate me now. i do not like candy corn. no bueno.

Mindurs said...

Wow, I didn't know one could like candy corn so much. You are welcome to eat my helping of candy corn, but you will have to beat Naph's to it.

Alicia said...

I'm going to have to agree with Brit on this one. ick ick ick.

Not that you won't catch me eating it from time to time..sometimes ya just need sugar ya know? And what better place to get sugar than candy corn..all the grainy, gross, sugaryness. Oh my, I'm sick.