Wednesday, April 9, 2008

SpongeBob Skinnerpants

We are a TV loving household. Unfortunately, speding too much time watching the "boob-tube", as Dad would call it, is the vice spoken of in general conference that we are most guilty of comitting. Since we can't say that we spend our time participating in other worthwhile activities, at least we can use our knowledge and experience that we gain from our hours of TV watching to try to make the world a better place. That is what I will attempt to do today.

The time we try to spend together as a family often involves the television. As a result, I am FAR too familiar with a lot of characters from Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., PBS Kids, and The Disney Channel. I made an observation the other day about one show in particular, SpongeBob Squarepants. We quite enjoy this show. It is funny and clever and most often has a nice little message (as much as a kids' show can.)

Anyway, my observation was basically how much the characters on the show are like my family. Rollin is Spongebob. He is a optimistic and can be very silly, and things always seem to work out for him. And when he wants, he can whip up a pretty mean hamburger.



The kids collectively are Patrick. They just go along with whatever Rollin is up to, keeping their heads in the clouds and looking for something to eat.


And I am Squidward. Grumpy, pessimistic, unmotivated. Spongebob and Patrick and their goofy games can really get on my nerves, but deep down inside I love it. Oh, and I played the clarinet from 6th grade through college (but I was much better than Squidward is.)



In the immortal words of Oscar Wilde, "Life imitates art far more than art imitates life." So there you have it. Life imitating art. Spooky, huh?

2 comments:

Rollin Skinner said...

We love our Squid she keeps us from embarrassing ourselves to a much greater degree. And, if Jethro Tull can make a flute cool you can rock the clarinet!

Alicia said...

*voice of patrick*

Hi spongebob! :D