Monday, January 28, 2008

President Gordon B. Hinckley


How I love President Hinckley. He was such a great man and such a great prophet. I looked forward at every conference to hearing his inspired words and clever wit. Seeing his face always brought a smile to mine.

When I was a student at BYU he gave a devotional that I was smart enough to attend (since I rarely went to the weekly devotionals.) I still remember where I sat and the amazing spirit that permeated the giant Marriott Center that night. His talk, "This I believe," encouraged me to be a better person and has stayed with me ever since. He said

"I belive that I am a child of God, endowed with a divine brithright. I believe that there is something of divinity within me and within each of you. I believe that we have a godly inheritance, and that it is our responsibility, our obligation, and our opportunity to cultivate and nurture the best of these qualities within us. I do not have to be a scrub. Though my work may be menial, though my contribution may be small, I can perform it with dignity and offer it with unselfishness. My talents may not be great, but I can use them to bless the lives of others. I can be one who does his work with pride in that which comes from hand and mind. I can be one who works with respect for associates, for their opinions, for their beliefs, with an appreciation for their problems and a desire to help them should they stumble. I believe in the principle that I can make a difference in this world. It may be ever so small, but it will count for the greater good. The goodness of the world in which we live is the accumulated goodness of many small and seemingly inconsequential acts."


I will miss President Hinckley. I know he is standing in the presence of previous prophets. I know he is overjoyed to be with his loving wife again. I know someday I will once again be able to learn from his great wisdom and feel of his tremendous spirit. That knowledge brings me so much joy and comfort.


Speeches Website This is a link to an audio recording of the talk "This I believe"

0 comments: