Monday, March 17, 2008

George Michael

Yep, I admit it, I love George Michael. I first remember seeing and hearing him when I was 11 or 12. I was at ZCMI with my friends shopping for school clothes and "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" came on the TVs they had in the teen department. I was transfixed. He was soooo gorgeous with that highlighted hair and floppy bangs. Although my first attraction to him was his cute-ness, I soon came to love the music. My friend and I would spend hours listening to her Wham "Make it Big" record (yes I am old enough to have had actual vinyl records) and calling the local radio station again and again to request "Everything She Wants." In college I was once again sucked in to George's music. My best friend Jane had a tape (we are moving forward technologically) of the album "Listen Without Prejudice." That is still one of my favorite albums today. He is such a brilliant song writer. Not only are the tunes catchy, but the lyrics are so thoughtful and beautiful. I suffered a little disappointment and a little shame when he went through his personal stuff, and thought about cutting him out of my favorites, but the music....I can't quit the music.


I have been watching a new TV show called "Eli Stone." My initial draw was twofold: first, there are few new shows on TV and I was bored, and second, George Michael was in the pilot episode. And although he is "hitting for the other team" he still looks good. All the episodes of the show are titled the same as a G.M. song and the one I watched yesterday was titled "Heal the Pain," one of my favorite G.M. songs. Consequently, I have had the song in my head all day and I finally got out my CD (yep, I upgraded to stay hip) and listened to it (three times) and uploaded it to my ipod ("wow Jen you really are keeping up with the times".)


Well, I am not sure if anyone cares about my homage to George Michael, but I just felt that he deserved one. (And I didnt have any exciting life adventures to blog about today.) Does anyone else get crazy about music like I do? Anyone have a bordering-on-embarrassing obsession with a particular artist or am I really a music dork? Well, if you don't have one yet, may I recommend George Michael for your obsessive consideration?


3 comments:

Unknown said...

i remember watching faith.... oh sexy. i thought it was sinful, but couldn't take my 10 year old eyes off of it!
:)
kt

Anonymous said...

Jen,
I love GM too! We have a cd and we listen to it still.
Wham's cd was one of the first cd's I owned. That and Madonna's "Like a Virgin". (Still trying to figure out how my big sister's talked my mom in to buying that for me and my twin sister for Christmas?)

Alicia said...

LOL Jen you crack me up!

Guess what I just found out!?!

He's going on tour!

http://www.reuters.com/article/peopleNews/idUSN2435478820080326

I thought you might like to know! :)