Thursday, May 1, 2008

Genealogy, I am doing it

Yesterday, Jackson came into the kitchen and said "Mom, what is harpies? I just saw a commercial for harpies medication and I wondered what it is." Oh, you mean herpes. Oh dear. That is a conversation I am not quite ready to get into with him. I know he is 12 and the time is fast approaching (probably long past) but how do you explain STD's to your kids? We reassured him that it is a disease he does not need to worry about getting right now and sent him on his way. Waaahhh. I want him to go back to being 5.

On a lighter side, I have been reading the Joseph Smith biography, "Rough Stone Rolling." It has been very fascinating to learn a little more about Joseph and the times he lived. During my reading one night I discovered that the town where he spent a large amount of his childhood, and where he had his first vision, Palmyra, is just 12 miles from where I knew some of Rollin's ancestors lived. It got me interested to see if they were living there at the time of Joseph Smith's vision and receiving the gold plates, so I dug into the genealogy I have gathered.

Rollin is 1st generation church member, so there has not been a lot of work done on his family line. That was exciting to me when we first got married, because my family work has been done by so many people going back to the time of the pilgrims, and I thought I wouldn't have much of a chance to ever do genealogy work. In the past as I have worked on Rollin's genealogy, I haven't gotten very far, not much past his great-grandparents, but this time I had so much success! It was so cool to all of the sudden find these people. This is an actual copy of the 1900 census which lists Rollin's great-grandpa who I could not find for the life of me for 10 years and then all the sudden, here he is!



There are some interesting facts in Rollin's family's past, and I wish I could sit and talk to these people and hear their stories. That is what is so exciting about genealogy work. I have a chance to just imagine the people and what made them make the choices they did, or how they responded to the life changing events they were faced with. For example, Rollin's great-great-grandpa died while when he fell off the roof of a construction project he was working on. He was 24 and left behind his wife and 4 children. Rollin's great-great-grandma had to send three of her children to live with relatives because she had no way to provide for them. How tragic is that? I would love to hear her story.

Anyway, I am still working on getting back to the 1820's and 1830's in upstate New York with Rollin's line. I am pretty close thanks to some recent developments. Once I find out if they were actually living there, I would love to see if they were in some way involved with or at least knew about the Smiths. Knowing some of Rollin's relatives like I do, it wouldn't surprise me to find out his great-great-great grandpa carried a bucket of tar or a bag of feathers to crazy Joe Smith's farm one night. Cool, huh?

6 comments:

Rollin Skinner said...

Baby you have got to let sleeping dogs lie. We are a family of bandits and thieves and not famously successful ones either. We are a poor family with virtually no history of success in any arena. My mother raced stock cars and my father had clever sayings printed on all his hats. We had a framed picture of a cat hanging on a tree limb with big bold letters encouraging him to Hold in there Baby!

We are what we are. As the wise Loggins and Messina once said, "And even though we ain't got money,
I'm so in love with you, honey,
And everything will bring a chain of love."

I believe the chain to be a very accurate metaphor in this instance.

Unknown said...

jen, you are awesome
a, i love robin mckinley too
b, hearts of the children speech starts out nicely with the children turning to herpes
c, rough stone rolling is a great book. i really enjoyed the enlightenment of it
d, your husbands comment is awesome.

thanks

Salty Gal said...

the harpies things makes me laugh.

good jon on the genealogy - you ROCK

Salty Gal said...

i'm meant good JOB

Tamra said...

We had the sex talk a few weeks ago with Daylen. That was fun-ok not really. I felt like I just gave away my private life, like he'd wonder why my door was locked, even if I was just changing . . . Luckily, he didn't even blink and just took it as fact.

I really want to get into geneology work, I keep thinking I will, but I guess I don't priortize right. Your family history sounds so interesting.

The Taylor Family said...

Hey, this is Becca from book club! Your blog back ground is so cute! Hey I have Rollins in my family too! I will have to find my papers and see if we are related. I think there is a famous story with the Rollins that I am related too. See ya next book club, I enjoyed visiting with you last night!